Displacemant Activity - I should be in bed

Just a few minutes ago we pulled into the drive of the family home in south France. My father got me up at ten to four this morning and after driving 800 miles and crossing the Channel we got here at eleven in the evening in your English time.

Filthy weather most of the way and that was surprising. Usually there is a big difference the other side of the Loire river. Still, it was a relaxing drive and nothing fell off the car. Brilliant dinner at "Le Carthage" - a Tunisian restaurant. (21, Rue Roger Salengro, 82000 Montauban 05 63 20 20 62) Definite drop-in when 'one hit' driving here.

It must have been while I was tired but I could not get out of my head the notion that if you are at the North Pole then the sun only ever rises and sets in the South. It also stops rising and setting in a confusing long day and long night. The same but the other way up goes for the South Pole but this one is nearest to me. It's my pole.

So I was thinking that there are probably only two days in the year when the sun rises due east and sets due west of your position. And even that doesn't happen everywhere. I know that at the moment, where I live in England, the sun rises North of east and sets North of West. Somehow I must discover the geometry that allows you to calculate all this stuff - or maybe the yearning will subside when I stop drinking this wonderful Armagnac...

However, lovely as it is to be here I came to work. I brought my Mac laptop with me along with a Sonnet F2 1Tb RAID loaded with work to cut. I know that it will probably never get much better than this. In fact, the next victim is with me. I was given a script to consider for editing some time next year when it's shot. It's about a blues player's descent to death. Gloomy perhaps but there will be damn fine music.

I also want to finish a bit for this blog about how editing is fading away from some TV workflow. Instead, production clips up a few 'good' bits, an 'editor' cleans the cuts and adds B-roll and the inevitable voiceover needed to explain what is going on. But more of that when I have worked my Irish up.

It's been a long day and France is ahead 1 hour so sleep is the specific for what will only embarrass me later if I continue.

Comments

Mike Torr said…
Simon, I think about spherical geometry all the time and I don't need Armagnac. Allow me to go through it with you when I get a chance :)

And yes, it does (referring to your tweet) sound like heaven. Have a good stay!

Popular posts from this blog

Framing Questions for Interviews

Come on Steenbeck

IPTV World Forum 2008

Naked Bike Ride Southampton - A film

The New Producers Part 1 - Who is making paying content for free?

News, fast and furious...

Reality of iPhone Reporting

Trimming the taproot, St Malo Corsairs and the Falklands Islands

The New Producers Part 2 - How do you monetise free content?

It's not Groundhog Day, it's oscillating between the horns of a dilemma